Win10 Fall Creators Linx Vision Recovery Image

F0LLETT
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 1197
Joined: December 14th, 2015, 9:08 pm
Linx Tablet: Linx Vision
Retailer: Argos
Windows Version: Windows 10 Home

January 1st, 2018, 7:59 pm

Use RUFUS (v2.09) bootable USB creator to put it on MicroSD card. You have to make sure you select FAT32 after you select your ISO.
To boot from the SD, you need to power off, then hold + then at same time, hold power until it enters bios. You then select boot manager and then the usb stick under boot menu.

Just to let you know, there is nothing on the Visions SSD to do with recovery, special linx partitions etc etc. Its all Windows. Windows creates 4 partitions, system, EFI, recovery (windows advanced boot menu) and windows. So when booting from SD, you have to delete all partitions, so its marked as unallocated, then select the unallocated space and click install. Once installed and you login to your Microsoft account, it will then activate.

I have included all the drivers I was using while using previous Creators update. You will however have to use device manager to add two sensors it does not see as PNP. Simply go to device manager (right click start button, select device manager). Then click action, then add legacy device. Then click next, then select install manually, then click next. Scroll down to sensors, click sensors, then click next. Click "Microsoft" in left pan, then click "Sdo Sensor V2" in right pan, then click next. Click next again and then click finish.
Do the same for other sensor, this time however select "Kionix" instead of "Microsoft" and "Kionix Sensor Fusion Device" instead of "Sdo Sensor V2".


Even though it has all my drivers, it still installs all the latest M$ ones. Don't worry about downloading drivers from my guide, simply update driver and it will show the older drivers. Just select them and downgrade.

It also features, full touch support in setup and OS without any need to install further drivers. So you can install without the need to connect a USB keyboard and mouse. It is also up to date (25/12/17).

As with anything posted, use it at your own risk (even though I have used it myself). Its provided as is.

Win10 Linx Vision FC Image (on mega).

EDIT:- While testing some more with this image. I came across a program that finds updated drivers for all devices on tablet. I have found updated drivers for touch screen, Realtek Audio codec and GFX. I will continue tonight and if they all checkout as working fine, I will link to them. Just want to make sure as there were further new updated drivers available.
Resolute and Industrious
Grand ruler of the yellow people and the Ultimate Amiga Empire
snooplogg
Member
Member
Posts: 4
Joined: January 3rd, 2018, 11:27 pm
Linx Tablet: Linx Vision
Retailer: Amazon
Windows Version: Windows 10 Home

January 3rd, 2018, 11:44 pm

F0LLET you're a gentleman and a scholar! Thank you for your tireless efforts in providing support to this wonderful device.

By the way I don't know if this has any use to anyone, but if you are on the 1511 (November update) version of Windows (not the Anniversary Edition or newer), if you want to avoid the display going black, then you can do this method. Shame it's too late for my friend's Linx Vision, but maybe your image will help to fix his. I was able to avoid it by downloading the Intel Driver and Support Assistant, letting the tool run and finding then downloading the latest drivers for display, Wifi and Bluetooth.

Then go into Control Panel - System (if this is not immediately obvious click large icons in the top right of the Control Panel window) - Advanced system settings, then click the Hardware tab, then click Device Installation Settings. When it says do you want to automatically download manufacturers apps and custom icons available to your devices, click No, then save changes.

Then I accepted the Creators Edition upgrade. It took a while to do, but it didn't attempt to mess with the display at all, and a few restarts later, it worked! Now the tablet boots from cold in seconds, the keyboard has no lag when being summoned, it's just overall snappier and faster for gaming. My WiFi drivers and Bluetooth are all up to date now as well as a result. If anyone's having WiFi problems then bear in mind this latest WiFi driver from Intel does work with the latest Fall Creator's update. Just tell Windows not to install what it thinks is best as above, before installing.

Thanks guys, if this helps someone then great, happy new year!
F0LLETT
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 1197
Joined: December 14th, 2015, 9:08 pm
Linx Tablet: Linx Vision
Retailer: Argos
Windows Version: Windows 10 Home

January 4th, 2018, 9:42 am

snooplogg wrote:F0LLET you're a gentleman and a scholar! Thank you for your tireless efforts in providing support to this wonderful device.

By the way I don't know if this has any use to anyone, but if you are on the 1511 (November update) version of Windows (not the Anniversary Edition or newer), if you want to avoid the display going black, then you can do this method. Shame it's too late for my friend's Linx Vision, but maybe your image will help to fix his. I was able to avoid it by downloading the Intel Driver and Support Assistant, letting the tool run and finding then downloading the latest drivers for display, Wifi and Bluetooth.

Then go into Control Panel - System (if this is not immediately obvious click large icons in the top right of the Control Panel window) - Advanced system settings, then click the Hardware tab, then click Device Installation Settings. When it says do you want to automatically download manufacturers apps and custom icons available to your devices, click No, then save changes.

Then I accepted the Creators Edition upgrade. It took a while to do, but it didn't attempt to mess with the display at all, and a few restarts later, it worked! Now the tablet boots from cold in seconds, the keyboard has no lag when being summoned, it's just overall snappier and faster for gaming. My WiFi drivers and Bluetooth are all up to date now as well as a result. If anyone's having WiFi problems then bear in mind this latest WiFi driver from Intel does work with the latest Fall Creator's update. Just tell Windows not to install what it thinks is best as above, before installing.

Thanks guys, if this helps someone then great, happy new year!
Screen goes blank after installing latest gfx driver. You have to put screen off, then insert mouse. Click and it comes back on and works fine. I used Driver Talent, it has a massive database and found newer drivers than windows had. So everything is up to date. I will look at editing iso when I get some time. Its a pain cause it takes hours (uncompressing and recompressing, plus the mounting of image takes 10 to 20 mins). With this image everything works except large SD cards (which needs older drivers) and manually having to install legacy sensors.

Ill always be doing stuff for Vision, as I use it like a PC, just portable. Its great for work, as sometimes windows goes south on my laptop, so I whip out my Vision and in seconds Im backto work while whindows takes a break on my laptop. Plus its great for streaming etc etc.
Oh and it runs the one and only emulator that means anything, AMIGA!!!!!! :).
Resolute and Industrious
Grand ruler of the yellow people and the Ultimate Amiga Empire
beerbarian
Linx Newbie
Linx Newbie
Posts: 23
Joined: July 5th, 2017, 10:19 am
Linx Tablet: Linx Vision
Retailer: 2nd hand
Windows Version: Windows 10 Home

February 19th, 2018, 8:50 pm

I Just reinstalled with this version ISO. I could not boot from SD so had to use USB flash via OTG. Everything worked well during and after install, except of course for the dreaded SD card slot. Which is the reason I wiped it yet again, to try in vain the gain use of it.
SD slot access for Linx Vision on Windows 10 FC 1709 is utterly broken.
I tried rolling back to those older unsigned drivers you left in the image for SD controllers/hosts etc, but they don't work.
I used Intel Driver Assistant to pull down some updates. It found updates for GFX, PROset Wi-Fi and Bluetooth. To make the Intel tool work you need to set this in C:Windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

127.0.0.1 dsalocal.intel.com
Last edited by beerbarian on February 20th, 2018, 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
F0LLETT
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 1197
Joined: December 14th, 2015, 9:08 pm
Linx Tablet: Linx Vision
Retailer: Argos
Windows Version: Windows 10 Home

February 19th, 2018, 10:37 pm

beerbarian wrote:I Just reinstalled with this version ISO. I could not boot from SD so had to use USB flash via OTG. Everything worked well during and after install, except of course for the dreaded SD card slot. Which is the reason I wiped it yet again, to try in vain the gain use of it.
SD slot access for Linx Vision on Windows 10 FC 1709 is utterly broken.
I tried rolling back to those older unsigned drivers you left in the image for SD controllers/hosts etc, but they don't work.
I used Intel Driver Assistant to pull down some updates. It found updates for GFX, PROset Wi-Fi and Bluetooth. To make the Intel tool work you need to set this in C:Windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

121.0.0.1 dsalocal.intel.com
Ok, so what card are you using, do you have others to try?
These drivers work, else I would have not bothered including them.
Resolute and Industrious
Grand ruler of the yellow people and the Ultimate Amiga Empire
beerbarian
Linx Newbie
Linx Newbie
Posts: 23
Joined: July 5th, 2017, 10:19 am
Linx Tablet: Linx Vision
Retailer: 2nd hand
Windows Version: Windows 10 Home

February 20th, 2018, 12:02 am

I've tried 3 different brands across 4 different sizes of microsd.
4GB SanDisk, 8GB Toshiba, 16GB Patriot and 128GB SanDisk.
It's not the cards, they're all flawless in everything else.
If I roll the tablet back to an early Windows 10 version that Linx support gave me, it's fine.
It's 100% a Windows 10 updated version problem and its something of a mystery how it works for you as I cannot recall anyone else on this forum reporting success with these steps for 1709.
Maybe this hidden power setting tweak is the key.
F0LLETT
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 1197
Joined: December 14th, 2015, 9:08 pm
Linx Tablet: Linx Vision
Retailer: Argos
Windows Version: Windows 10 Home

February 21st, 2018, 9:37 am

beerbarian wrote:I've tried 3 different brands across 4 different sizes of microsd.
4GB SanDisk, 8GB Toshiba, 16GB Patriot and 128GB SanDisk.
It's not the cards, they're all flawless in everything else.
If I roll the tablet back to an early Windows 10 version that Linx support gave me, it's fine.
It's 100% a Windows 10 updated version problem and its something of a mystery how it works for you as I cannot recall anyone else on this forum reporting success with these steps for 1709.
Maybe this hidden power setting tweak is the key.
I have been really busy the last month, so have no time to sit down and play with stuff. I will try my best to go through everything I have changed and revise SD_FIX. As the linked ones are old compared to ISO ones.

Maybe someone could answer this. People have been moaning that if they fresh install, they lose office on Vision.

So I went back to stock and checked, there is no office installed. It only has the free office components from the Windows Store.
Im sure I have seen people say they get a years free subscription, yet this has never shown up for me.
Resolute and Industrious
Grand ruler of the yellow people and the Ultimate Amiga Empire
beerbarian
Linx Newbie
Linx Newbie
Posts: 23
Joined: July 5th, 2017, 10:19 am
Linx Tablet: Linx Vision
Retailer: 2nd hand
Windows Version: Windows 10 Home

March 6th, 2018, 12:18 pm

I've used your ISO rebuilding the Vision tab a few times while experimenting with Android and I have noticed something unusual.
Not sure if it's something you have configured or not but here it goes:
The partition layout on disk after install to an erased internal drive (automating partitioning) looks like this:

Partition # Type Size Offset
1 Recovery 499 MB 1024 KB
2 System 100 MB 500 MB
3 Reserved 16 MB 600 MB
4 Primary [remaining free space]

This is at odds with Microsoft's standards with regards GPT and UEFI,
where the EFI partition (the 100MB system one) is usually first, and the recovery partition is last:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/window ... partitions
This doesn't cause any boot or operating problems for the tablet after install of Windows 10.
However things start going wrong when trying to dual boot another OS such as Android x86 where it expects the typical EFI partition to be first. I also had problems trying to boot to the recovery partition for repair.
I recall using an ISO image that Linx support supplied to me with the original factory version of Windows 10, and I'm fairly certain it had the ESP first because I had no problems dual booting with that.
Rather than go back and install again with that older build, I think I'll just try and do a custom partition layout
beerbarian
Linx Newbie
Linx Newbie
Posts: 23
Joined: July 5th, 2017, 10:19 am
Linx Tablet: Linx Vision
Retailer: 2nd hand
Windows Version: Windows 10 Home

March 6th, 2018, 1:56 pm

Well, that made no difference. Trying to do a custom partition layout on it just caused it to apply the same defaults it wants to, 500MB recovery area as partition 1.
I just ran the Linx Vision factory RTM imager via USB and sure enough it lays it out by script per Microsoft standard with 100MB ESP as partition #1, 16MB Windows reserved as #2, Windows main partition ~29GB as #3 and 366MB recovery partition as #4 at the end.
F0LLETT
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 1197
Joined: December 14th, 2015, 9:08 pm
Linx Tablet: Linx Vision
Retailer: Argos
Windows Version: Windows 10 Home

March 7th, 2018, 9:53 am

beerbarian wrote:Well, that made no difference. Trying to do a custom partition layout on it just caused it to apply the same defaults it wants to, 500MB recovery area as partition 1.
I just ran the Linx Vision factory RTM imager via USB and sure enough it lays it out by script per Microsoft standard with 100MB ESP as partition #1, 16MB Windows reserved as #2, Windows main partition ~29GB as #3 and 366MB recovery partition as #4 at the end.
Yeh, I did notice, didnt really worry as it should not effect anything including dual booting.
Just so you know, on my main PC I have only one partition and everything runs fine.
Resolute and Industrious
Grand ruler of the yellow people and the Ultimate Amiga Empire
Post Reply