Please enable / Bitte aktiviere JavaScript!
Veuillez activer / Por favor activa el Javascript!
LinxTablet.co.uk - Windows Creators Fall Update : Help (Linx 1010 & Linx 1010 3G) - 3

Windows Creators Fall Update

If its broke and it doesn't turn on you probably wanna post in here.

Re: Windows Creators Fall Update

by Squirrel2015 » January 27th, 2018, 12:47 pm

Very pleased to hear your installation was a success, Simon. Now you have to install all the other software that you use ;) I think the latter takes more time, to be honest. I agree with you and hope it doesn't require re-install every time there's a new major update, ie twice a year!!! I'd be interested to know how much space Windows 10 now takes up in your hard drive, before installing anything else, and then again when you have all installed.

It's great to know that several are being helped by my experience re installing Win 10 with the drivers.

Thanks for all the feedback :)
Linx Nerd
Linx Nerd

Linx Tablet: Linx 1010
Retailer: Amazon
Windows Version: Windows 10 Home

ADVERTISEMENT
Remove Ad

by Griffman2010 » January 29th, 2018, 12:35 pm

Squirrel2015 wrote:Very pleased to hear your installation was a success, Simon. Now you have to install all the other software that you use ;) I think the latter takes more time, to be honest. I agree with you and hope it doesn't require re-install every time there's a new major update, ie twice a year!!! I'd be interested to know how much space Windows 10 now takes up in your hard drive, before installing anything else, and then again when you have all installed.

It's great to know that several are being helped by my experience re installing Win 10 with the drivers.

Thanks for all the feedback :)

After getting it back up and running had 16gb free from the 32gb and now having installed all updates, office etc though setting storage on all options to SD card it's got 14gb free so not too bad really. We'll see what happens in the future.

Cheers.

Simon

Retailer: John Lewis

by Squirrel2015 » January 29th, 2018, 12:46 pm

Griffman2010 wrote:After getting it back up and running had 16gb free from the 32gb and now having installed all updates, office etc though setting storage on all options to SD card it's got 14gb free so not too bad really. We'll see what happens in the future.

Cheers.

Simon

That's great

So, are you saying you've got Office on mSD card or have I misunderstood what you're saying "though setting storage on all options to SD card"?
Linx Nerd
Linx Nerd

by Griffman2010 » January 29th, 2018, 1:05 pm

Squirrel2015 wrote:
Griffman2010 wrote:After getting it back up and running had 16gb free from the 32gb and now having installed all updates, office etc though setting storage on all options to SD card it's got 14gb free so not too bad really. We'll see what happens in the future.

Cheers.

Simon

That's great

So, are you saying you've got Office on mSD card or have I misunderstood what you're saying "though setting storage on all options to SD card"?

I wasn't very clear but set in the storage options the default save location of various items and set them all to the sd card. Just open settings and search for storage and then select "default save locations"

Simon

Retailer: John Lewis

by Squirrel2015 » January 29th, 2018, 1:10 pm

Ah, OK. Unfortunately, only non-Microsoft stuff will install to mSD. MS stuff will only install to C:\, as I understand it.

You've done well to have 14Gb still free, after having Win 10 plus Office, and other stuff on. That's really good. Well done. Thanks the feedback. :)
Linx Nerd
Linx Nerd

by bakerdave » February 1st, 2018, 4:46 pm

After reading this and other threads concerning Win 10 "upgrade" issues, I wonder how many Linx tablets have ended up in the skip because their (understandably) less teckie owners have given up ??
Linx Newbie
Linx Newbie

Retailer: AMAZON

by Squirrel2015 » February 1st, 2018, 8:12 pm

bakerdave wrote:After reading this and other threads concerning Win 10 "upgrade" issues, I wonder how many Linx tablets have ended up in the skip because their (understandably) less teckie owners have given up ??

The same thought has occured to me too!

I believe any 'Windows' device needs someone with a technical degree to be in a position to sort them with the updates ;)

Hopefully, not too many have ended up in the bin or the back of the cupboard. Might be worth checking out 'the' well-known auction site - buy non-working ones, fix them and sell them on! Could make a killing ... ;)
Linx Nerd
Linx Nerd

by tromso » February 8th, 2018, 5:20 pm

Got hold of a 16GB USB flash drive and used the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool to create installation media on it, then added the unzipped driver files as suggested on Squirrel2015's posts on 26th and 27th January.

Successfully booted from it and tried to do an upgrade installation saving my personal files, but still failed with the same results as my previous attempts (ie. some devices seemed to have disappeared).

Thoroughly p***ed off by now, so decided to bite the bullet, backed up all my personal files and details of all the non-Windows apps I had installed, then used the USB flash drive to perform a clean installation. After the installation, all the devices were present (though many showing driver errors) - hooray! Updated the device drivers as necessary and now have a working tablet again, updated to Windows 10 version 1709.

Then spent the best part of a day setting up my required two users, re-installing Office 365 and all the previous non-windows apps, and restoring my backed up personal files.

Total time spent on my several attempts to get my tablet upgraded to Windows 10 version 1709 (and restoring version 1607 when it didn't work) must have amounted to over 50 hours. Let's hope Microsoft's next "Feature Update" doesn't cause as much hassle, but I won't hold my breath - at least I'll have a better idea of what to try next time.
Linx Newbie
Linx Newbie

Retailer: PCWorld

by Squirrel2015 » February 8th, 2018, 5:30 pm

Well done, tromso

I think you'll find your Linx will also run better now. I'm assuming the next big update, due in Spring I suppose, will need the same approach :( It's one of the disadvantages of having such a small C:\ drive and the management of it thereafter.

So, make a copy of the drivers from your Linx, seeing as you had some problems with drivers, so you can then install the correct ones first time round? There is a post on here somewhere where the poster gives the necessary instructions. It was because he was asking if someone could copy the drivers, which was why I did it, and then I posted the drivers. I'll search that post, with instructions, out. I want to do that again, anyway, when I've got my friend's Linx 1010 as she's run into space problems now.

In my opinion, this space issue is going to be much more common now. Not only Linx are being sold with 32Gb drives nowadays.

Also, maybe worth keeping the installation files of any other software you have installed so, next time you do a fresh install, you will just have to run the .exe files :) Will be much quicker, I reckon ;)

[Edit - to add]
Backing up the drivers currently being used on your device
Start powershell (admin) and type the following (it can take about 5 mins to complete).
Export-WindowsDriver -Online -Destination D:\DriverBackup <-Adjust destination as required.

touchsettings.gt is normally in C:\Windows\INF\ folder.
(Copied from viewtopic.php?f=62&t=2973 Posted by Follet [Moderator] Sun 14 Jan 2018 at 11.04pm)
Linx Nerd
Linx Nerd

by stigzler » March 1st, 2018, 5:05 pm

Just to let others know. I was getting errors using the Win10 Media Creation tool. Turns out the successfuil way to use it is thus:

Put MediaCreationTool.exe onto the formatted USB Stick, not on your local machine. Run it from there and it will work correctly.

MS can be so daft with the basics sometimes..

Retailer: ebay

PreviousNext